The Castle Chapel
The Castle Chapel, or as it is called ‘the Church’ stands in ruins, about 100 yards west of the castle.
It was the private chapel of the Catholic Lords of Upper Ossory. It’s walls, though roofless since Cromwell’s time are in excellent preservation. It is a rectangle, measuring 65 ½ feet x 30 feet externally, and 58 feet by 3 ½ ft internally. The side walls are 12 feet high. Internments formerly took place within the chapel and outside it to the south, but since the 1700’s, no one has been buried there.